When we were getting ready to leave the hospital they told us that she'd lost 12% of her body weight which is the most they'll let her loose without keeping her. They told us that they'd let us take her home if we started supplementing with formula and take her to her pediatrician the next day. So she started out at 8lbs 1oz. When we took her home she was 7lbs 2oz. We took her to the Dr. the next day and she was back up to 7lbs 13 oz already! Go girl! So the Dr. said we could stop supplementing if we wanted and then to bring her back in for her normal 1 week check up. We brought her back in a week later and she weighed in at 8lbs 9oz. Couldn't be better as far as that goes. She did have an ear infection though =(. At only 10 days old, her ear drum was bright red and bulging. Great way to start hu? And she had a little cough (but I started getting sick just a couple days before she was born so I'm sure she picked it up from me...). So we stared on some amoxicillin which she quite enjoys. The coughing continued to get worse and worse. We brought her back in on Tuesday of this week and they said she has a lower and upper respiratory infection. Oh boy. So they took a sample of it (very thick and colorful) to send it to the lab to see what we're dealing with. Her oxygen level was at 95% which is still pretty good. They also sent us to a medical supply store by the Children's hospital to get a nose suction machine. It's really cool! We use that every couple of hours to clean out her nose. We get TONS each time. I called the doctors office Thursday to see if they'd gotten the results back yet and they told us it was negative for the flu but positive for RSV. Yikes. She wasn't even 3 weeks old at the time! She's getting hit hard, really young. Her retraction in her ribs continued to get worse throughout the week so I took her back in yesterday. Her oxygen was at 93% so she's still holding her own as far as that goes. They sent us home this time with a prescription for our nebulizer machine to give her breathing treatments and told us to go to the hospital this weekend if it gets much worse. so far we're hanging in there though. I hope it just gets better from now on. She's had it for about 2 weeks now. The poor girl just coughs and coughs =(.
Here are some pics for you to enjoy.
The most recent pictures were from Valentines Day. I don't have my others uploaded yet so stay tuned!

15 comments:
Wow! SO good to hear from you! I Love blogs for that. OK, best I can tell from going through your blog you have three kids and are living in Dayton? Rhett is in school or teaching? How long have you been there? Where were you before that? We just moved to San Diego 7 months ago-Josh got his PhD over the summer and is doing a postdoc now. Me and Josh were just laughing about the day we came back to visit the old BYU ward and when we walked in Rhett grabbed your baby, held him up and pointed to him to show us that you had been successful in having a kid! :)
She is SO sweet! That's no fun she's having such a rough first few weeks, but it sounds like she is a little fighter. Hope things keep getting better and better!
Poor little Shelby that's a rough start but she seems to be pretty tough! She is just too cute and Bennett seems so happy to be a big brother again. How has Jordan been with having a baby around? I'm sure she's a great big sister!
Poor girl!! Its so great to hear from you!! We sooo need to get together!! Congrates on the new baby! She is adorable! HOpe she gets better soon!!
Brie
Of course we remember you! How are things going? It looks like you have a little addition too. She is adorable! Sounds like you guys have had a hard time with sickness though. I am so sorry! RSV is so scary esp. when they are so new! I hope she gets better soon! So you guys have moved from AZ huh? I'll read your blog and get up to date on you guys. You can also email me at bundrocks@hotmail.com We must get back in touch! CONGRATULATIONS again!
Man, I hope she's feeling better soon. Its so much more scary when they're that tiny. Let me know when you feel comfortable taking her pics and we can set up a good time. =)
First of all she is adorable. I'm sorry she is sick. Kota just got sick for the first time 2 weeks ago and it was alot of long hours for me. I hope that it isn't too hard on you. It sounds like she is working hard to get better. Hopefully she gets better fast. Good luck with evertthing.
Isn't this so fun to do!? This whole blog thing has opened a whole new world to me! I am glad you found us! It is good to see your cute little family...your baby is so beautiful. I will now add you to my sidebar so I can keep caught up with you guys!
I can't believe she has RSV! Oh my gosh, that is the thing I think all of us mothers worry about, oh my gosh I wish I was there so I could give you a hug or something.
Oh she is beautiful. I can't say I'm surprised with all this cold weather in Ohio that your poor Shelby got sick. Everyone gets it! I'm so glad she is doing well.
what a crazy story. i'm glad things are going better for you guys and can't wait to meet little shelby!
Yay! Congrats! She's beautiful!
Oh what a DOLL! SO sorry about RSV, bummer.:( I wish I had one of those suction machines over here for us. That would be AWESOME! I could get a lot from Hailey (she doesn't know how to blow her nose...what?):) Prayers and hopes that baby Shelby gets better soon!:)
Traci! I am so glad you found us. Of course I remember you guys. I will never forget the good ol BYU ward. I loved it so much! Looks like you have your hands full with 3 kids, and I am almost there as well! Time flies. Its so crazy. Your kids are so cute. So here is something weird, How do you know Whitney and Jon Tate? I went to school with Jon in little old Blanding! I about died when I saw them on your friends list! Small world. I hope your Baby gets over all that sick junk!
Marci
Post a Comment